Suggest treatment for gastrointestinal diseases

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Thank you. I am having gastro intestinal problems. I am hungry 24/7. I am eating three times what I usually eat and I cannot get past being constantly hungry. I had both my thyroid and blood sugar levels tested and both are normal. This just started out of the blue about a week ago.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Polyphagia , polydipsia and polyuria are symptoms of Diabetes. Get tested. HBA1C , fasting and random blood sugar can be done in this regard. Blood sugar levels alone may not tell the full picture. Get HBA1c done, too.

If the thyroid and diabetes are ruled out then diet changes should be the first step. Include ispaghula husk every time you feel hungry. Take 2 full spoons with each glass of water before every snack or meal. This will give a sense of fullness and inhibit frequent desire to eat.

If you are overweight then phentermine which is an anorexigenic , would lead to suppression of the constant urge to eat and may also aid in weight loss.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 13 hours later
What is ispaghula husk and where do you get it? Is there any other over the counter drug or supplement that will help me feel full? I went to the CVS and looked at Diet pills but saw nothing with that name. I do not have diabetes and I am not over weight. I am just hungry every minute of every day. I eat protein bars all day long and they do not help either. I shouldn't have to make diet changes as I have never been hungry before. This just started a week ago.And I ate two protein bars, three eggs and toast and peanut butter for breakfast and I am still starving.Can you order a test online so the laboratory can check whatever it is you want them to check? They will not just do a test based on my request. You want HBA1C. Also I am not over weight, but maybe phentermine would help, but I cannot get that without a prescription. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Ispaghula Husk is basically a bulk forming agent with many benefits. It helps in regulating bowels and increases the fiber content of the diet. It lowers cholesterol/ fat absorption. It also provide the necessary roughage needed to feel satiated and decreases the urge to eat again. Its available over the counter and doesn't require a prescription.

This forum doesn't allow us to prescribe online drugs or investigation.

HBA1c is done routinely. Request your GP. He will order it for you.

Thanks