Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Itchy eye with red and swollen eyelids. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
red and swollen eye lids and itchy eyes and neck in morning eyes are crusted over also itchy on back of knees and crease of arms also bleeding hemorr
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the question,

Swollen, painful and itchy eyes are classical symptoms of infectious conjunctivitis. This is an infection of the external layer of the eye ball. Treatment usually involves use of topical anti biotics in the form of eye drops, topic eye corticosteroids in the form of drops or anti histaminics to reduce the itches and pain.
It shall be worth knowing if you changed the environment, traveled, changed your room, took a drug you were not used to taking, bitten by an insect or something to exclude an allergy cause; generally if its allergic, these symptoms appear very fast.

In your case, with a past history of thyroid disease, the considerations or diagnostic options are different. Thyroid disease could predispose to sub conjunctical hemorrages as you describe. Vitamin B12 is a vitamin used in treating a type of anemia called macrocytic anemia. Vitamin B12 has nothing to do with conjunctival hemorrage.

The swelling and itches in the morning around the eyes, neck and knees deserve a keener attention. This could be due to an allergic reaction, an infection, or an autoimmune disease. Morning swelling around the eyes with a past history of hypertension deserves that a kidney problem be eliminated. It would also be interesting to know if you have been screened regularly for diabetes or not.

The cause of your disorder could therefore be an infection, thyroid dysfunction, an allergic reaction or an inflammatory or systemic disease. Blood tests like complete blood counts, control of thyroid hormones, measurement of markers of inflammtion, measurement of Immunoglobulin E levels to exclude an allergic cause, kidney function tests could be of help. Consulting your family physician or an internist could be of much help. Depending on the case, he might advise you either to see an opthalmologist or not.

Hope this helps. I shall be honored to answer any further questions , do not hesitate if need be.
Thanks and best regards as I wish you the best of health,
Luchuo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor