Is yellow vaginal discharge indication of yeast infection?

Posted on Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: Is it a yeast infection if there is a think yellowish discharge? There is no itch but the clitorus, hood, and vaginal opening are swollen. Now the same areas are peeling.
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please see below. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank you for using XXXXXXX I would love to help. It is possible that the symptoms you describe are due to a yeast infection. Sometimes yeast infections do not itch, even though itching is common. Discharge and swelling could also be symptoms of yeast. there would be no harm in taking over the counter medicine like monistat for your problem, and it may work. If it doesn't help, or if it gets worse, you should see your doctor. That is because it may be something else. These symptoms could also result from other types of infections such as herpes, they could result from trauma, they could also result from a skin reaction to a substance that you might be sensitive to, or possibly some other less common conditions. Your doctor will usually be able to tell what it is on exam, and it is usually easy to treat. I hope this was helpful, please let me know if you have any other questions. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Saul Weinreb

OBGYN