Is walking on toes of a 3 years old a cause for concern?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Dear Doctor,

My Daughter who is 3 years and 4 months old now is still walking most of the time on tiptoes.
She is active baby and a good learner. She can identify things and also watches cartoons, talks to everyone. A little shy but once mixed she gets around well with everyone.

She dances and participates in lot of activities.

Only problem we see in her is that she walks on toes. When I scold her for a while she starts working normally but again she is back on toes. Specially while walking fast and running she uses toes.

Can you please tell me is there something serious which I have to look for ? Can this be treated and cured? Why is my Daughter not able to walk normal.

Some background She is a 3 week premature baby and was put in an incubator for 1 week.

She is 93 cms tall and her weight is 13 KG.
Rest all seems to be fine with her, she seems to be healthy child.

Please need your guidance and suggestions.

XXXXXX
Father.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely normal variation.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your daughter's details. Based on that, it seems to a be a normal variation and there is no need to worry.

It may be a habit and it would normalize once she grows up.

At this stage, we should exclude a muscle disease. For that, a blood test called SERUM CPK may be done. If that is normal, no further action is needed. However, if serum CPK levels are high, then, a detailed neurological evaluation and EMG (electromyography) should be done.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 34 minutes later
Thanks!! a doctor for the reply.

Can you please tell me any other symptoms of muscle disease.

Also if Serum CPK are high and muscle diseases if found then is it dangerous?
Can that be cured with normal medications?

I read about cerebral palsy and autism , can that also be the case which can be considered?

I am worried because As I said she was a little premature baby.

Best Regards
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Does not look like cerebral palsy.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Other symptoms of muscle disease would be difficulty in climbing stairs or getting up from sitting position and also, difficulty in running fast. It can be treated with medications.

Symptoms are not suggestive of cerebral palsy or autism.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)