What causes intermittent loss of motor skills in the arm?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
i HAVE EXPERIENCED SITUATIONS WHERE MY ARMS JUST "DROP" WHEN AM TRYING TO DO THINGS LIKE SCRATCH MY BACK REACH FOR SOMETHING OR JUST USE THEM IN GENERAL. bY DROP I MEAN THE RM PHYSICALLY DROPS FROM UPRIGHT POSITION TO SITTING AT MY SIDE.
Wed, 9 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
ROTATOR CUFF TEAR VS NEUROLOGICAL CAUSE

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

Dropping of arms usually occurs due to 2 main causes-

1.Rotator cuff tear- If you have a recent history of trauma,then the rotator cuff in the shoulder joint may be injured.This can cause a DROP ARM SIGN.

2.A neurological cause leading to weakness in the muscle of the upper limb can also cause the arm to drop.

If you have associated pain in the shoulder joint,then you should get an MRI of the shoulder joint done.

Electromyography and Nerve Conduction studies of the upper limb can rule out a underlying neurological cause.

Methylcobalamin and folic acid tablets with calcium supplements should help.

I would suggest you to consult your doctor and get the necessary investigations done.

Do let me know the reports of the investigations once they are done.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.