Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Is urea parvum an STD and can it cause infertility in women?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9351 Questions
Is urea parvum and STD and can it cause intertility in women?
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
This is debatable today because ureaplasma is considered to be part of normal microbiological flora in males and females so I would not classify this as an classic STD. So ureaplasma parvum can be found by urethral microbiologic tests in majority of females so in these women it doesnt cause infection and symptoms of infection. However, sometimes ureaplasma parvum can cause infection, burning pain while urinating or even abscesses. Such infections are usualyl mild and can be treated by antibiotics easily in 7-10 days.
Those closed fallopian tubes you ve mentioned are usually caused by these abscesses and very progressed infections which are extremely rarely seen today.
So she should not be worried.only long untreated infection can have some serious consequances. So despite abscess,there is no any other mechanism on which ureaplasma can cause infertility.
BUT urea parvum is considered to be risk factor for miscarriage so she should definitely do tests and treatment before she gets pregnant. So it is the best to treat it now and check is there reinfection when she decide to have baby. Wish you good health. feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor