Is Ureaplasma infection a sexually transmitted disease?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Sat, 24 Feb 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: i had tested for ureaplasma and results came positive, i asked my boyfriend to be tested too, he did and it came negative, i did take medication and waiting for second lab results, My question does it spread only sexually?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ureaplasma infection is essentially a sexually transmitted infection.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Ureaplasma infection is essentially a Sexually Transmitted Infection. Rarely it can be passed on to baby either in utero or through vaginal delivery.
I can understand your concern.
You had not mentioned through what test it was tested. There could be rare incidence of false negative results in every test.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 24 hours later
i had a pap smear.
if it is a STI why my boyfriends result came negative?
can this bacteria live in women flora regularly?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ureaplasma is not a bacteria in normal flora of a woman.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Ureaplasma is not a bacteria present in the normal vaginal flora of a woman. Some individuals will have innate resistance to some infection and not manifest the disease. Another possibility is, your boy friend's result would be a false negative one.
Sometimes repeated tests may reveal the infection.
Dr S Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng