Is trembling of the hands a sign of alcohol withdrawal syndrome?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: I AM AN ALCOHOLIC, ANYTHING I CAN PURCHASE OVER THE COUNTER TO STOP MY TREMBLING WHEN I AM NOT DRINKING?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

There is no over the counter medication that will help with this. If you are shaking in the absence of alcohol, this means you are in withdrawal, which is HIGHLY DANGEROUS without immediate medical treatment. This can lead to seizures, coma, and death. I recommend you got to a hospital for a safe medical detox.

My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T