Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Is transepithelial KXL advisable for eye problem?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 5709 Questions
Hi, Today I got test done in XXXXXXX Nethralya and they did Corea Keratoconus screening. They have now suggested that I get transepithelial KXL in my right eye. Please can you advise on: 1) whether I should go for it? 2) If yes then when should i get it done, immediately or should i wait for another quarter. I have the scan copy of both the Pentacam and Kerotonus screening and can send to you.
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: You need to undergo tranepitehlial Cxl. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health Care Magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. I reviewed the reports and the history. Radial keratotomy is a incisional refractive surgery done for correction of myopia. It can lead to corneal thinning and ectasia. The condition of corneal thinning and ectasia is called as keratoconus. Since the pentacam and orbscan are showing thinning of cornea with 465 microns being the thinnest this requires strengthening of the cornea. Transepithelial CXL called as corneal collagen cross linking is one of the latest and safest modality of treatment of corneal thinning. Since in your case cornea is thinned and most probably it is progressive you need to undergo the procedure to arrest further progression. You can undergo the procedure now or the other option is please do compare with the previous scan report which was done at chennai and if there is definite progression it requires surgery now. Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you. Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor