Is transcatheter aortic valve implantation advisable while suffering from abdominal infection?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Apr 2018 in Valvular Heart Disease
Question: Its just for advice, my father is in the hospital for TAVI valve surgery..but in hospital got an infection in abdomen, also, had low kidney function....everyone was shocked he got thru the infection..they said he can do rehab to get ready for surgery(Tavi) but now they say he is too weak and his kidney function is too high..and can't do dialysis cause he has 80/50 Blood pressure. they also told me they don't want to hurt the hospital statistics with a loss, and can put him on palliative care so he is comfy. is there a better option here? should we send to the US hospital and pay for the surgery?

Please provide a detailed answer
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After going through the medical details provided by you of your father I understand your concern for his health and I would like to tell you that considering the overall scenario of your father's case conservative medical management will be a better choice for him.

It's because TAVI is a major interventional cardiac procedure which require a good overall health status for a better outcome. As your father's kidney function is already on the lower side and the contrasts which has to be used in the procedure will further make the kidney function worse. Also his blood pressure is quite towards the lower side which again won't be suitable for the procedure.

So taking into consideration his age and all other co morbidities optimal medical management will be a better choice.

Although if you have contacts in US you can always take a second opinion from there also. I believe they will advise the same.

I hope this information will answer your query.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 6 hours later
what can we do from our family side as small goals? food and walking?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
Yes healthy diet is always a key to healthy life. Give him small frequent meals that should be rich in nutrients like green leafy vegetables, fresh fruits, cereals, low fat milk.

If someone can accompany him for light morning walks that will be very good.

Hope to have been helpful.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 22 hours later
Ok, I spoke to the cardiologist today. He said valve surgery is not an option. And dialisis will be the only option with no chance of valve surgery. he said that dialisis wont work on him cause of the condition of the heart. I also spoke to XXXXXXX Clinic to discuss options and they said they specialize in High Risk TAVR procedures and would like to see his file. I have also read online that people on dialisis have done this surgery before. any thoughts on this?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
You have already got the answer that it will be a HIGH RISK surgery.

The opinion which you ar getting from your Cardiologist and on HCM is basically a practical aspect which are proven fact for these type of cases, and the XXXXXXX Clinic is basically a academic and research facility kind of organisation where these kind of cases are handled but on a high risk note.

Hope to have been helpful.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng