Suggest treatment for septicaemia

We have a patient who had a massive stroke was then diagnosed with septicaemia. The CT scans show a large amount of brain damage on the righthand side.He was returned home for palliative care without fluids and given a couple of days to live. After 5 days he has suddenly opened his eyes and is now able to interact to external stimulus, for example ask for coffe, point and hold hands, swallow and suck on ice. What are his chances of recovery? Should fluids be administered and recovery attempted or will this just prolong the inevitable?
Wed, 15 Jun 2016
Hi
Recovery after stroke differs from patient to patient. Physiotherapy plays an important role. Usually it takes 3-6 months. If he is able to swallow food on his own, then oral diet is encouraged rather than IV fluids. Otherwise, nasogastric intubation is an option before going for IV fluids. IV fluids can be administered depending upon his hydration status which should be monitored daily by urine output & vitals monitoring.
Thank you for contacting healthcare magic.
I hope, you are satisfied by the answer