• question-icon

Why were pain medications not given for bedsores and groin injury?

My mother passed away after heart valve surgery. She lasted 50 days post surgery. Why would she not have been given any pain medication especially in light of the bedsores and injury to her groin area following an arterial line error. Yet they did give her pain meds in palliative care, I saw them changing the bedsore wounds and when they moved her you, you could see the pain on her face although she was unable to verbalize this pain. Thuis is very baffling to me.
Tue, 22 Mar 2016
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that there are no specific treatment for the bed sores.

The main treatment is frequent change of position, in order to minimize compression in these body regions.

Other treatments to consider are taking care of the skin with frequent cleaning, in order to avoid infection, use a topical antibiotic in cases where infection is seen and plastic surgery if needed.

Acetaminophen can be given for the pain. Nevertheless, it is necessary knowing her medications, in order to avoid possible interactions between drugs.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri