Is there interaction between Salonpas and Alka-Seltzer?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I put solanpas on my chest around 11 this morning. I have heartburn and want to take alka-seltzer. Will there be any interactions? Does heartburn alwas happen in middle of chest? It felt like it spreaded just a little.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
no interactions, can be felt just outside center

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different versions of XXXXXXX seltzer. The original, extra strength and lemon lime all contain aspirin to act as a pain killer but the aspirin can possibly worsen reflux so you may want use another type of the XXXXXXX seltzer or a different product altogether such as pepcid, zantac, nexium, prilosec, prevacid, protonix.

These medications actually reduce acid production in the stomach, in some cases the effect is not right away (because does not get rid of acid already present but prevent more from being made)

The XXXXXXX seltzer heart burn relief does not contain aspirin, it does neutralize the acid present and it is not known to interact with the salonpas.
They can be used together.

Heartburn can feel as though it is outside of the center of the chest in some cases

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions