Is their permanent cure for allergy?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 4 Jul 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Is their permanent cure for allergy? I heard about allergy shots(vaccine) from a doctor. Is it available in India? If yes, What is the estimated time and cost of treatment.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. There is no cure for allergy.

2. Desensitization may be attempted with a variable success rate.

3. Desensitization require identification of the exact allergens, which may be multiple.

4. Testing and desensitization will be available in XXXXXXX Injectable therapy will be around 6-7k per dose.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
How much doses are required to completely desensitize one allergen. If more then one, then what is the time interval in between doses.

Also, what is approx. success rate of this treatment.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Usually, the initial doses are once or twice a month for four to six months depending upon the response. Thereafter, maintenance doses are given for three to five years.

2. There is no hundred percent guarantee. Success rate for identified allergens is between fifty to eighty percent.

Regards.