Is the painful cyst on left side of groin a lymph node?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I had a nodule that was causing me pain in my groin on my left side and was sent for a transabdominal us. Here are the findings:
The uterus measures 103x45x53 anteverted. Endometrial complex is 8mm. Right ovary measure 39x34x30. There is a 20x18x15mm cyst on the right.
The left ovary measures 33x28x21mm. There is left apparent pelvic hypo echoic round structure with echogenic hilum noted measuring 10x8x15mm.

Impression: 1. A 20x18x15mm cystic lesion in the right ovary with a questionable echogenic focus in the periphery. Correlation with transvaginal images and or mri with contrast may have merit initially.
2. Endometrial thickness upper limits of normal at 80mm.

* ok, so does this mean that my cyst on the left is actually a lymph node? Is my endometrial thickness indicative of increased cancer chances? Does this cyst on my right warrant surgical removal?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs further evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The cyst of this size in right ovary with an echogenic focus is not likely to be a physiological cyst. It needs to be monitored with a follow up scan after 6-8 weeks.
The hypoechoic structure on the left side is likely to be an enlarged lymph node.
The increased thickness of the endometrium is worrisome. Further evaluation is needed after the periods to assess the thickness and the cyst size. It does not immediately need a removal but needs further investigations as suggested.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal