Is the mole on the areola indicative of cancer as per the attached image?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Lump
Question: I have had this mole on my areola for about a year or so. Does it look cancerous? Is it normal to get moles here? The photo may be hard to tell, but it's very small and it does not have irregular borders, but it's very dark. It hasn't changed any in appearance since I first noticed it, but wonderered if I should have it checked.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks normal to me

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome. I've reviewed the image.

It is not unusual to have moles in the periareolar area. Well as I can see from this photo it looks to me like acquired melanocyte nevus which is the name for benign moles.

Although this is bit darker, there are no other features of dysplasia and I don't think you should be concerned especially if this area is not exposed to the sun often.

You can always have it checked or removed to ease your mind but I don't think this is required at this point.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee