Is staph infection treatable?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 11 Dec 2015 in Cancer
Question: Is staphyloccus aureus curable?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, its curable.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Does he have any culture test of the bacteria with antibiotics sensitiveness? This is very important as can answer which antibiotics are effective and which are not. If this is MRSA infection, the treatment is much harder than regular S.Aureus (however it is still possible).
When was the hernia surgery done? Was there mesh inserted? Can you please attach a photo of the wound?
It is possible that the reason of the boils is infected mesh, not just bacteria itself. In such condition mesh removal is the best treatment.

Answering your question in one sentence, yes S.Aureus infection can be curable.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 58 minutes later
Thank you very much, Dr. Stanko. I have contacted him to ask what antibiotics he was on. They worked until he ran out then couldn't afford to keep getting them. He is going to get me the names, probably tonight when he gets home. When I hear back I will reply again.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I`m looking forward to hearing from you.

Detailed Answer:
And please ask him about the report from the culture test (the one which says about bacteria sensitiveness).
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 34 hours later
Hello Dr. Stanko,

I do have some more information, though he hasn't been able to get back to me on the name/s of the antibiotics. He doesn't remember a sensitivity test, though the problem began 2 years ago. They did install mesh, on both sides (double hernia). The boils can occur anywhere on his body, arms, legs and even his face.
I see there is a time limit on a question. If they close out this one, will I be able to get back to you when I get the rest of the information?

xxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vaccination made from the bacteria is the option.

Detailed Answer:
If the boils with pus do appear all over the body, mesh is rather not the source of infection.
As it lasts for a long time, antibiotics wont cure him completely for sure. The chance for him is a vaccination made of the bacteria which is causing the infection. He should consult good microbiologist to discuss such possibility.
He should also be checked for diabetes and HIV infection (however it is not very possible).

Even if they close this discussion, you will be able to reopen it.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 28 minutes later
This is very good news. The poor guy was really worried about having to get the mesh removed since he understands it becomes part of the body!

He lives out of state. He is a bachelor. I want him to come stay with me so we can get him a good doctor. He is not having any luck finding one where he is.

You are a Godsend, Dr. Stanko.

xxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I hope he will get well soon.

Detailed Answer:
I hope he will get well soon.