Is smoking cigarette a problem after hernia surgery?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: I know most experts are saying not to smoke after hernia surgery, that only pertain to cigarettes? How soon would I be able to smoke pot after the surgery?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

Well this is an interesting question, but I can't find any studies in humans that give information regarding this. I found some articles on delayed wound healing in people recovering from orthopedic surgeries who were given THC.

So here are my thoughts: inhaled marijuana, like tobacco, contains some unwanted other byproducts such as carbon monoxide and other things, which would not be the best thing when your body is busy trying to heal. Even a bong would not eliminate all of this.

So I can't provide a specific date when it would be ok. As precautions after hernia surgery, such as no heavy lifting, usually extend to 4-6 weeks after the surgery, I'll use that as a rough guide for when you might consider the healing complete.

If you have used marijuana to curb anxiety in the past, you might want to talk with your doctor to consider a medication to get you by.

I hope this information helps.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 6 minutes later
Would vaporizing marijuana reduce any of the risks?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
It may reduce some of the tar.

Again, though, no studies done on this so far relative to wound healing.