Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with PVC, want to start smoking marijuana and drinking alcohol. Is that advisable?

I have been diagnosed with PVCs. They only occur a couple times a week and are always isolated, never more than 2 in a row. I really want to start smoking marijuana or drinking alcohol again but I am unsure of whether either of those things will exacerbate the PVCs and also lead to something more serious. What information can you provide me on the effects of THC and alcohol on PVCs
Asked On : Fri, 14 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  298
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Jun 2013
Hi there ~

I understand your concerns. Marijuana has a lot of effects on the heart and exacerbating PVCs have been reported in some case studies. I believe that alcohol can also make the condition worse in combination with marijuana. The following stimulants, conditions and triggers may increase your risk of premature ventricular contractions:
- Marijuana
- Caffeine
- Alcohol
- Tobacco
- Exercise
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Anxiety
- Underlying heart disease, including congenital heart disease, coronary artery disease, heart attack, myocarditis and cardiomyopathy.

I also think that you might need to consult a doctor to make sure that you have nothing serious going on and get yourself educated about the effects of alcohol and THC on PVCs.

I hope this helps. Take care and have a lovely day!
Answered: Mon, 1 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor