How can constant lower back pain during pregnancy be treated?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Mental Health
Question: I'm 36 weeks pregnant and have been taking what I thought was CBD oil throughout my pregnancy for my lower back pain; 4 hyrniated disks L1-L4 (my doctor has me on Vikodin which I stopped using when I found out I was pregnant) However, I had a feeling the CBD oil I was getting from Nevada(Marijuana is legal recreational there where in Florida where I live it is NOT(just became legal medically 2 weeks ago) was stronger than usual and I took a THC at home test and it turned up positive. I had an ultrasound today and my daughter is healthy and growing perfectly! However, I am going in to get a C section Dec.15 and am terrified that it will be in my system and CPS will get involved. I have looked into and done a ton of research on the 5 day rescue detox but I am worried that it wont work and could hurt my baby. My OBGYN would have to call CPS if I tell him what is going on. What is your unbiased opinion?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Relax and check with your gynecologist

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Yes, Child protection services maybe called.

But an alternative pain killer will save you from misery of pain.

Since its almost time for delivery, check with your gynecologist if they can put you on a medicine for pain. They have nice options in pain killers, and also options like morphine etc for labour pain. Painless deliveries are very common nowadays. So dont worry and take it one step at a time. You simply tell them that pain is really bad. It is common to have bad back pain near the end of pregnancy.

You can go off the CBD oil by reducing dose as it may really have effects on your baby.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj