Is severe arm pain a symptom of heart attack?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Wed, 6 Apr 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: hi, I have been getting a bad arm pain. I have had shoulder problems for quite some time, almost a year.
This is different because it started in the elbow and forearm. its like a pulsing pain and very severe.
since I'm 71 yrs old, take ,5 mg of Lisinopril and 800 mg of atorvastatin, I was concerned about a heart issue.
it was very bad about 3am for as hour. then it subsided. about twenty minutes ago, it seemed to start coming back again. could this be heart related or do u think its coming from my frozen shoulder?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not heart related

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

I am sorry to hear about your arm pain. This pain is not typical for heart related issues. I doubt that it is heart related. More than likely it is due to your frozen shoulder or from a tendinitis. If you play sports like tennis or golf you can get tennis elbow or golfer's elbow which would cause severe pain at the elbow extending into the forearm. The treatment is rest, NSAIDs like naprosyn and braces.

I summary
1, not heart related due to heart pain usually in the upper arm
2. Possible tendinitis
3. use naprosyn, rest and brace.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions