question-icon

Is pulse polio vaccination recommended after receiving scheduled polio vaccination?

Posted on Thu, 23 Feb 2017
Question: Hi,
I have given my kid(5 months) polio drops as per the immunization schedule given at the hospital(i.e 10th october,12 november,10th december of 2016). Do I also need to give the polio drops when the Govt announces too? How many times do I need to do it? Confused!!
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (11 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Pulse polio boosters are to be given every time they are announced

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Yes, apart from the scheduled immunization of polio drops you need to give the pulse polio boosters whenever the government announces about the same. It will boost the child's existing immunity and will also provide herd immunity which would have a further protective action.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician