Suggest treatment for post-polio syndrome

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: What new treatments or medicine (e.g. l-cytrulline, Swiss study ended XXXXXXX 2017) are available to treat post-polio syndrome?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Transcranial direct current stimulation is a new possibility.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Traditional treatment of post-polio syndrome includes intravenous immunoglobulin, lamotrigine, muscle strengthening exercises, and static magnetic fields.

New treatment ways that are being considered include transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS).

L-citrulline also according to one study may improve muscle strength in patients with post-polio syndrome.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 9 minutes later
Thank you. Do you know where IDCS is available in the San Francisco Bay Area? And where I might get L-citrulline?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

I live and work in Europe so it is difficult for me to address you where to find transcranial direct current stimulation in your area.

L-citrulline should be available with a prescription.

I think you should discuss first with your primary care Physician who may have the needed information about your requests.

Hope I helped you.

Greetings.