What impact does oral polio vaccine have on the fetus during pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 28 Jun 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: dear doctor
this is my forth month of pregnancy and I had to travel and on my trip I had to take polio drops . I spit them out and only had a bitter taste left in my mouth. However now I am concerned if it can affect my unborn baby in any way possible?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Will not affect baby.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Polio drops if taken orally do not cross the placental barrier and do not reach the baby to affect it. Only the immunity produced in the body due to the drops will reach the placenta and will do good to the baby. The polio drops are so safe that these are given at birth to the baby for immunity. So no need to worry.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad