Is pregnancy possible through unprotected intercourse during post-ovulation period?

Dr. Sudha Rani Panagar

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I had unprotected sex a day ago. I am about 5 days away from my ovulation day. I'm usually have a 28-30 days cycle. I know sperm can live in the body up to 5 days. Am I cutting it really close to ovulation is there anyway I could get pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Sudha Rani Panagar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes madam,there are chances of pregnancy,but its less.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to healthcaremagic.com.Thanks for trusting healthcaremagic.com doctors for your health related queries.
I guess your concern is about you getting pregnant.
Well i would like to discuss with the information you have shared.
Firstly,having unprotected sex.This act increases the chances of pregnancy.
Secondly,your menses cycles are regular(as told by you,its 28-30 days).In regular cycles ovulation usually occurs around 14th day.
I would like to introduce you to the word-'FERTILE PERIOD'.Its from 10th-16th day of regular menses cycle.During this period ovulation may occur and ovum meets with sperm to form embryo there by women gets pregnant.Hence called fertile period.When people have unprotected sex in this period chances of pregnancy are present.
In your case,you are 5 days away from ovulation.
Finally i would like to conclude that,there are chances of pregnancy,but its less.
You can try out my suggestion:-
1.Have patience.Wait till your next menses.If you get menses on or near to expected date you are not pregnant.
2.If you dont get,do urinary pregnancy test.Its done usually on 3rd-5th day of missed periods.If negative you are not pregnant,if positive,you are pregnant,and have to visit nearby gynecologist for further help.
3.Prevention better than cure.You can use condoms.If condoms are not available or if your partner objects for it,you can use emergency contraceptive pills within 72hrs of unprotected sex.
I hope this information was useful,helpful and informative enough to clear your doubt.
Regards:Dr.Sudha XXXXXXX panagar.MBBS,MS(obstetrics n gynecologist)

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sudha Rani Panagar 1 hour later
Thank you for your help. I hate to get graphic but I need answers. He pulled out, but ejaculated outside my vagina. Does this decrease the chances at all? Should I take a morning after pill just to be safe? I took one a long time ago, and it really messed with my cycle and hormones so I'm hesitant to do so.
Answered by Dr. Sudha Rani Panagar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
With ejaculation done outside the vagina,chances are decreased

Detailed Answer:
Not necessary to morning after pill in your case,if you are very much sure about ejaculating outside the vagina.
When a morning after pill is taken,its expected that it alters the hormonal status(that is the mechanism of pill) and thereby menses cycle is altered too. That is why you had messed up last time.It is expected to happen with every other women.