• question-icon

Is persistent cervical pain after an embryo transfer a cause for concern?

Posted on Sat, 28 May 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, I had an embryo transfer 9 days ago. I have been on Crinone since egg retrieval. I have been experiencing cervical pain for a couple of days now. Should I be worried? Is this normal? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See detailed description

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.

Crinone is a progesterone gel which is very important for implantation of the embryo.
By cervical pain if you mean pain in the mouth of uterus inside vagina then there is nothing to worry as it is common with Crinone gel.
But in case you mean cervical neck region pain then you should consult a good orthopedician at the earliest as these pains at times worsen because of the effect of progesterone.

Dr Manisha Jain.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 12 minutes later
Hi, thanks for answering. I meant pain in the mouth of uterus. I can feel some discomfort and shooting pain for a couple of days now, so that was worrying me. Best regards
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Visit a gynaecologist

Detailed Answer:
Pain in that area is common in patients who use gel but is usually mild and tolerable.
But at times there can be injury due to the applicator (in those who use applicator)
so if pain is a shooting one then it is better to get examined by a gynaecologist to see for any local cause of pain.
If it is just a simple discomfort then take tablet paracetamol 2-3 times a day and it will be fine.
All the best.
Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN