Is medical Marijuana advisable to treat tumor on tongue?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Cancer
Question: I am an 87 year old Cancer patient. I've been doctoring for several years. Had chemo and radiation April and May 2014. Pet scan in August was clean, but had biopsy of tumor on tongue March 10, 2015 and it was positive. Surgery is recommended, but side affects and quality of life has reinforced my decision to deny surgery and seek alternative treatment. Heard good things about medical marijuana and would like to pursue
It further. Where can I find more specifics as to my particular cancer and obtaining the product?
Answered by Dr. Prashant Sharma 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
should go for surgery

Detailed Answer:
hi sir,
sorry to know about the recurrence of your tumor.
please do't believe in the things that are said by unofficial persons.
marijuana is useful in decreasing the cancer pain but it doesn't have anticancer properties. i heard the same things for hemp also. one of my patients used it (against my advise) for stomach cancer but there was no benefit.
also it is difficult to find and use. there may be legal complications also.
as you have received radiotherapy (RT) and chemotherapy last year only, so RT is not advisable again.
it is a right decision that you have advised surgery. of course surgery is a risky job at an age of 87, but still you should go for it. your fitness for surgery is to be decided by anaesthetist.
the only alternative is chemotherapy which may not be curative, and full of side effects.
feel free to ask further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Prashant Sharma

Oncologist, Surgical