Is lymphocyte count of 41 a cause for concern?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Blood work showed lymphocyte count as 41. Is it a cause of concern?
My blood test showed total white cells 6000 and lymphocytes 41. Is this slightly elevated number a cause of concern? Pr indicates something serious like cancer or lymphoma? Also, i have found my blood tests from previous years and i had total lymphocytes 40 in 2012 and total lymphocytes 38 in 2014. So they always seem to be a bit high, why? Also, i have hard pea sized lumps attached under my jaw bone (possibly sibmandibular glands) but are enlarged like that for many years. All my other glands are fine, i feel healthy and my weight is stable.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
most likely normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi

From your history I find that you have a slightly high relative lymphocyte count for years and it is not increasing. Total count is 6000 so absolute lymphocyte is around 2400 which is OK. This is not any cancer. Some people have marginally higher lymphocytes. There is nothing to worry about that.

Small submandibular nodes are also found in many healthy persons. It is quite normal.

So, overall I don't see anything of immediate concern in you.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar