Is laser therapy effective for atopic dermatitis in an elderly person?
Previous history of eczema, dermatitis and hives. Very sensitive skin.
Many years of prednisone, when direly needed, and strong rx cremes, have caused my forearms and hands to appear many years older than my 56 years. I brush very easy and those marks instantly turn to purple blood blisters. My mother is 87 and she has the same issue, only worse. I worked outdoors from 1987 to 2004 in the hot San XXXXXXX sun. Much sun damage and I get pre-cancer spots frozen as soon as they look like they need treatment. Now, my legs are starting to show bruising too, even though those areas of skin are thicker. Would supplements help? Would any cosmetic procedures (laser) or anything like that be a waste of time and money?
Lasers are ineffective
I can certainly understand your concern.
You possibly seem to have longstanding photo dermatitis which is refractory to treatment.
Many of the skin break symptoms are directly related to the side effects of long-term use of steroids.
Laser therapy in your case will not have adequate impact.
Effective use of Sunscreens against UV A with SPF(sun protection factor) above 50 will help to prevent further breakdown of the skin.
Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe this to you.
Post your further questions if any.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Specialist for babies atopic dermatitis
- Asthalin atopic dermatitis
- Endometriosis atopic dermatitis
- Seborrheic keratosis and atopic dermatitis
- Marijuana affect atopic dermatitis
- Atopic dermatitis curable
- Atopic dermatitis herbalife
- Adderall and atopic dermatitis
- Monk's crawl atopic dermatitis
- Petroleum jelly "atopic dermatitis"
- What does this lipid profile test result indicate?
- What are the symptoms of mononucleosis?
- What causes constant diarrhoea while on Lithium?
- Is frequent defecation an effective method to pass THC detox test?
- How long should i take Nasonex and Montair LC for allergies?
- How to gain weight?
- What causes difficulty in losing weight along with numbness in hands and...
- What does cochran drug screening detect?
- What causes recurrent ulcers in mouth despite taking medication?
- Suggest treatment for complete ACL tear in knee