How can lower back pain be treated?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have back pain in my lower back across my buttocks only after walking about 5 to 10 minutes it goes away when I sit down usually only after several minutes then I can walk again for another short time, laying down or siting causes no pain. after sleeping my back is ok until I start walking. lifting doesn't seem to affect it unless I do it for several minutes. carrying things brings it on quicker. casual activity around the house with walking less than 5 or 6 minutes is ok. the pain is disabling to point I loss strength and will fall unless supported
Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
LUMBAR CANAL STENOSIS

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.
The symptoms that you are experiencing now are classical signs of Lumbar canal stenosis.

After walking for some distance,the spinal nerve root in the bony lumbar canal gets compressed leading to radicular pain.After taking rest for sometime,the pain goes away temporarily and this continues on.

The first thing that you should do now is get an MRI done to confirmed the compressed nerve root.

Even though you have already undergone a Laminectomy surgery,these symptoms indicate a recurrence of the lumbar disc prolapse at the same level of Laminectomy,or a Lumbar canal stenosis at another level.

Once MRI confirms the diagnosis,physiotherapy in the form of Lumbar traction,Short wave diathermy,IRT or LASER therapy will help.

Another surgery comes with a huge risk and should be avoided as far as possible.

Exercises,lumbar belt will help.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.