Is juvederm voluma injection safe to take for membranous nephropathy?

Posted on Mon, 14 Jul 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I'm a 38yo female that was diagnosed with membranous glomerulonephritis at age 9. I have been in permanent remission since I was 24yo. Kidney function is normal. I was interested in getting juverderm voluma injections, which are hyloronic acid. Do you think it would be safe for me? I have had silicone implants for years and never had a problem but I wasn't sure about injectables.
Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
it would be fine.

Detailed Answer:
Membranous nephropathy (MN) has a good prognosis in woem. As you had substantiated remission so far for several years , you don't need to worry about. MN is a bit unusual to develop in children unless they have a genetic tendency or some viruses like hepataitis B etc since childhood. Still, it has good prognosis and women get in to remission frequently compared to men. A sustained remission also tells us that the prognosis is good.

But, MN can get provoked by many synthetic substances. However hyaluronic acid is not a problem and can be given as it is also safe among patients with kidney disease. Silicone implants did not do much adverse effects to you so far and appear to be safe. However , in an individual case, it is very difficult to predict and suddenly there can be a relapse for no reason. Still, you can go ahead and take Hyaluronic acid as it is never proven to be the one that can provoke a relapse in MN.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju

Nephrologist