• question-icon

Have nephrotic syndromes, kidney biopsy done, membranous nephropathy seen, taking Neoral, suffering from oedema. Advice?

hello doctor, i have a nephrotic syndromes and i performed a kidney biopsy which indicated a membraounus nephropathy . Currentlly i take a Neoral 50mg/day and highpressure treatment also a reduce cholestrol treatment. I wounder if the Neoral treatment is the best treatment for my case especially i have been under this treatment for two weeks and still suffering from oedema in both my legs and body with around 6kg weight gain ...thank you for your advice
Mon, 11 Jun 2012
Nephrologist 's  Response
Dear Abeer,

Cyclosporine is an acceptable treatment for membranous nephropathy. Usually it is given with small dose of steroids (prednisolone) 0.5mg/kg body wt. for best results.

The dose of cyclosporine has to be adjusted to levels in the blood. A dose of 50mg a day is likly to be low for an adult.

Response takes time. 4 to 6weeks may pass before seeing results.