• question-icon

What does my hematology report suggest?

Posted on Wed, 12 Nov 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: My Haemotology report is as follows

Heamoglobin is 13.1 g/dl.

PCV is 38.4 %

RBC is 4.55 mill/cu.mm.

MCV is 84 fL

MCH is 28.8 Pg.

MCHC is 34.1 g/dL

Differential Leucocyte Count are as follows.

Neutrophils-Normal

Lymphocytes-Normal

Eoinophil-11%

Monocytes-Normal

Basopils-Normal

Platelet count -Normal

ESR is 22 mm/hr

I have protein passage in urine.

I have high cholestrol and triglycerides, hence i take medicine for the same .

Frther I have Hypertesion and I am on Coveram 10/5 mg

I would like to undertand how serious is my condition particularly with regard to High ESR and low RBC also on Kidney function.

as I said protein passage started 8 yrs back due to membranous nephropathy. It got normal due to prednisalone. Prednisalone was stopped 7 yrs back Again protein passage started since past two years and the passage is grasually increasing.

What I want to know is the root cause of membranous nephropathy?
Do I have to check for any underlying disease?If so what tests I have to do?
Do I have to restart Prenisalone again? Or is there any other way / medicine to reduce / stop protein passage?
How serious is this disease considering present staus.
I have sent the reports on urine sample which also illustrates Protein value in urine or creatinine & protein ratio.
Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry about

Detailed Answer:
Membranous nephropathy (MN) is a genetically mediated disease with few antibodies make a complex and get deposited below filtering membrane in kidneys. The filtering membrane becomes thick and pores get wide opened and hence there is a free passage of protein in the urine leading to losses as the protein is an abnormal substance for urine tract once filtered, it gets into the adjacent tubules and damages the structure and thus kidney damage sets in kidneys.

It seems the MN is simple with you as you responded well with steroids before and the relapse is taking place after several years now. Almost 30 percent resolve without therapy and 40 percent respond to therapy and only remaining few gradually progress to kidney failure. You have few good points with you that you responded well before and there is a late relapse. But men have a bit high tendency to kidney damage compared to women.

Still, there appears to be a dim old form of MN for you. You can get back once you get the reports. Other blood reports mentioned by you are all normal including ESR and we don't need to read too much about simple reports which are of no major clinical significance or consequences.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju

Nephrologist