Is it safe to use steroid injections for fibromyalgia?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Fri, 26 Jun 2015 in Pain Management
Question: I've had fibromyalgia for years and symptoms keep worsening. I also have bulging disc and bone spurs on my cervical spine. I can't get proper pain control. Been on the same dosages of medication for years. Well, it's not helping anymore. I use oxycodone 10mg and diazepam for horrible leg and feet cramps. I've grid numerous other options like PT, acupuncture etc... I had a bag k surgery that totally failed and after that surgery my neck has got to the point where I can barely move it. I also wasted tonS of money on steroid injections which I will never do again because of adverse effects from that. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm miserable and can hardly walk w/o a cane. I'm 45 and can't stand living anymore.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think you should try Amitryptylline.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that going through the history that you have given , I think you should talk to your treating doctor regarding trial of amitryptylline or duloxetine which have got good results in Fibromyalgia .

These are neuromodulators and give good relief in Fibromyalgia patients . I dont think you should go for steroid injections , they wont benefit in this disease. Plus I would request you to please send your reports so that we can have a look and understand your disease better and guide you accordingly.

Any other queries please feel free to ask.

Dr. Shruti
Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 4 hours later
I have been on both medications that you requested and I have adverse affects to both.I have no choice whhen it comes to pain management. I will become very ill if my pain meds are stopped and quite frankly I won't be able to walk the neuropathy and pain issues so bad in my back, legs and feet. I don't like being on pain meds, but that is the only thing that helps me function day to day.I'm on very short acting medication, which is making it worse ,because I don't want to take meds every 3-4 hours. That is ridiculous when I know there are many long acting medications. I appreciate your advice, but unfortunately it will not help me. I've tried several different meds and amitriptyline is 1 and it did nothing for me but seemed to make things worse. I'm not a big advocate for meds, but none on disability my life is a living hell. No one should have to suffer to the degree I do daily.I'm sorry for wasting your time and my money. Between all my back, leg and leg pain, along with horrible neuropathy I'm simply lost on what to do. Everyone constantly wants to pull me from my meds and that is easier said than done. I can't afford getting horribly sick on top of everything else I have to deal with. You can't just pull me off these meds and expect me to function. It's not right, nor is it fair to me considering the everyday battle I put up with constantly. I'm not a drug seeker, I just need something to control this pain. If I had my choice and I was healthy the last thing I would want is to take unnecessary pain medication. I can barely walk w/o these medications. I'm going to a pain clinic to see what can be done cause I can't take this anymore. I v e been putting up with this for over 4 years now. I can't continue living like this.I'm totally exhausted from this. Keeps me up all night, which makes things worse for me. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm simply tired of it all and anyone in my shoes would feel the same, I can guarantee you that. I'm tired of getting the run around over pain medication. I need help someone to assess my pain and put me on something where I don't have to suffer day in and day out. I know people who aren't near in the pain I'm in who take massive amounts of narcotics.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for reverting back.

Well I can understand the amount of agony that you are going through but since you are getting dependent on narcotics your doctor wants to wean you from them . Considering your neuropathic symptoms have you ever taken on pregabalin or gabapentin . They also work good in your condition and then we can taper the narcotics as increased dependency on them is not good for your health.

Dr. Shruti