What causes severe cramps in the feet and leg?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have terrible feet and leg cramps. What can I do to stop them
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
calcium / vitamin deficiency

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.

Leg and feet cramps at your age are usually a result of low calcium / vitamin D or other vitamin deficiencies (especially vitamin B6 and B12)

You can get your blood checked for these deficiencies.

After that you should start on calcium,vitamin D and multivitamin supplements.

Green leafy vegetables with fruit juices along with high protein diet will help.

Carnitine deficiency is also a cause of such symptoms.

You can take L carnitine tablets once a day along with the above supplements.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 12 hours later
Thank you very much. I've always taken supplements, but since a short hospital stay, I have slacked off taking them. I will get back on them right away. Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you

Detailed Answer:
You can get back to me if you have any other doubts.

Do let me know the improvement once you start on the supplements.

You can close the discussion if you do not have any further queries .

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 2 hours later
I couldn't believe it. After taking the supplements for just one day, my cramps in my feet and legs are almost gone. Thank yo very much.

One more question please. Ever since I stopped taking estrogen, my hair has started two fall out. What can I do about it? and is there something I can take too stop it.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Query answered

Detailed Answer:
This may be due to hormonal changes.

You can start a low dose of oestrogen and vitamin E tablets.

Consult a dermatologist to rule out any scalp infection that may be causing the hair loss
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 9 hours later
Thank you doctor. I will take your advice and let you no the results.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
sure

Detailed Answer:
Yeah ,sure.

I will wait for the results.

Thanks.