question-icon

Is it safe to undergo wisdom teeth removal under general anaesthesia?

default
Posted on Mon, 23 Mar 2015
Question: Hi, I am the mother and care giver of my son of 33 years old. He has MS. According to his oral surgeon he needs to have all his wisdom teeth removed. They are impacted. Plus a decayed molar will also be removed at he same time. That means 5 teeth. The procedure will be done at the hospital under general anaesthesia. He is worring about the pain after the surgery and general anesthesia due to the fact he is highly sensitive to pain on different part of his body. He never ever was under anesthesia before. My son is highly sensitive to pain.
Just an example: The last times the nurse took his blood pressure on his upper arm he was in pain! He will certainly be in worse pain when the anaesthetist will insert the intravenous needle!! It's a fact most people will experience some discomfort after the wisdom teeth extraction. My questions: Knowing how sensitive my son is I wonder if his MS will flair new or stronger pains after the surgery compare to healthy people.
1) Does MS people experience more complications after the wisdom teeth removal and healing process than healthy people?
2) What can he do? We already talk with the dentist and oral surgeon and they don't know about MS! Frustrating.
3) He is worry what will happened to his body after that procedure. More MS problems to deal with on top of the teeth pain and healing process? We know his energy will be much lower.
4) What should he do to prevent more MS problems to flair up? I would appreciate your help.
Your help would be appreciated
Thank you. Lucie
doctor
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Yes,It can act as a stressor for pain but not a XXXXXXX MS relapse.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

I have gone through your son's medical history and If he would have presented to me as an outpatient,I would have told him to go ahead with the dental intervention,though with some preventive steps.I am hereby providing point by point answers to your questions-
1)About 98% of MS patients don't have any more complications as compared to general population after wisdom tooth removal.However,the remaining 2% with advanced and debilitating MS,can have exacerbation of MS symptoms after a dental intervention.
2)By the history you have provided,he does not appear to fit into those 2% and he should go ahead with the dental procedure as planned.
3)He has obvious reasons to get worried because of his sensitivity to pain.I am not denying that he may precipitate pain after the procedure.But denying the procedure is not the correct step here.
I suggest him to take antineuralgics like amitriptyline,carbamazepine,duloxetine or pregabalin.Clonazepam can be very effective by lowering his anxiety levels and hence the sensitivity to pain.
PLEASE TAKE MEDICINES UNDER A PHYSICIAN'S GUIDANCE ONLY.
4)It is almost sure that he is not going to have MS flare after the dental procedure.Pain may increase but that is not at all, a dental flare up.I discussed in the above question, he may take help of the said medicines to alleviate his pain.

Hope I have answered your query.If you have some follow up queries,I shall be glad to answer else,please close the thread-rate it and write a review.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Practicing since :2007

Answered : 1827 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Is it safe to undergo wisdom teeth removal under general anaesthesia?

Brief Answer: Yes,It can act as a stressor for pain but not a XXXXXXX MS relapse. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com. I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query. I have gone through your son's medical history and If he would have presented to me as an outpatient,I would have told him to go ahead with the dental intervention,though with some preventive steps.I am hereby providing point by point answers to your questions- 1)About 98% of MS patients don't have any more complications as compared to general population after wisdom tooth removal.However,the remaining 2% with advanced and debilitating MS,can have exacerbation of MS symptoms after a dental intervention. 2)By the history you have provided,he does not appear to fit into those 2% and he should go ahead with the dental procedure as planned. 3)He has obvious reasons to get worried because of his sensitivity to pain.I am not denying that he may precipitate pain after the procedure.But denying the procedure is not the correct step here. I suggest him to take antineuralgics like amitriptyline,carbamazepine,duloxetine or pregabalin.Clonazepam can be very effective by lowering his anxiety levels and hence the sensitivity to pain. PLEASE TAKE MEDICINES UNDER A PHYSICIAN'S GUIDANCE ONLY. 4)It is almost sure that he is not going to have MS flare after the dental procedure.Pain may increase but that is not at all, a dental flare up.I discussed in the above question, he may take help of the said medicines to alleviate his pain. Hope I have answered your query.If you have some follow up queries,I shall be glad to answer else,please close the thread-rate it and write a review. Dr.Ajay Panwar, MD,DM(Neurology)