Is it safe to take niftran 100mg capsule for a prolonged period?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Hi, can you please advise if it is safe to take Niftran 100mg ( Nitrofurantoin) capsule for a prolonged period ( > 3 months, with a break of 10 days after 20 capsules) ? My wife is being treated for UTI ( E-Coli) that appears to be obstinate. Symptoms: Gross Hematuria appearing for a day/two days at intervals of about three weeks .Thanks in advance. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Generally Nitrofurantoin is very safe medicine as it is almost in 100% secreted with urine and works only there. Usually it does not affect any other parts than kidneys. So it seems safe for person with period problems. I just hope that this antibiotic is chosen according to urine culture.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 29 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. Your answer surely helps.
Yes- the medicine is prescribed on the basis of urine-culture-report and cystoscopy-report. Just wanted to know, if she can continue taking the medicine for another few (~ 2/3) months in this mode ,i.e. one capsule/day, with a break after 20 capsules.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Yes, you can use it even after a break. It is not real antibiotic, it works by stopping bacterial growth (antibiotic does kill bacterias) and usually does not give resistance for itself.

Regards.