Is it safe to take Propranolol when diagnosed with hypothyroidism?

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have been taking 60 mg propranolol for a migraine disorder for 2 years. It works well. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and am wondering two things: 1) Is transitioning off the propranolol necessary to effectively treat hypothyroidism, and 2) Will taking low doses of herbal supplements yerba mate and green tea negatively interact with propranolol?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Divakara 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends on your Pulse Rate.

Detailed Answer:
HI

Greetings from Dr.Divakara.P

The transition off the propranolol is not very much necessary if your Pulse rate is in the normal range . This is because both Propranolol and hypothyroidism can cause Low heart rate, so if your heart rate is under 60-70 then it would be better to take off Propranolol, else not needed.

Yerba Mate if taken in small amount for short duration is fine but long term consumption is not advisable as it contains Caffeine, but no significant interactions has been mentioned between Yerba mate and Propranolo or Green tea and Propranolol.

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarifications feel free to ask .

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Divakara