Is it safe to take Amoxicillin for food poisoning?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Can I take antibiotic for my food poisioning and for how long? I'm an adult female. My amoxicillin seems to be alleviating my stomach pain
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Amoxicillin not the right choice

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Amoxicillin is not an appropriate choice in case of food poisoning. If there is mild food poisoning then supportive therapy including fluid / electrolyte replacement would suffice. However , if there is high fever, leukocytosis ( a high TLC count ), blood in stool and vomiting then antibiotics like ciprofloxacin should be administered along with isotonic fluid replacement, in consult with your doctor. A five day course of Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice a day can be prescribed by your doctor.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil