question-icon

Is it normal if the backbone appears prominent in midline while bending neck forward?

Posted on Sat, 23 May 2015
Question: Is it normal for the back bone of a 12 year old to be so prominent?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail (30 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
The backbone appears prominent in midline when bending neck forwards

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. In a thin built child who is bending forwards as in the picture attached, the back bone appears prominent in the midline. This is known as the flexion position of the neck.

2. In normal cases, the prominent back bone should be in a straight line in the middle. If the line is curved towards any particular side then that requires investigation for scoliosis. If it is straight in alignment and in the center then there is no concern.

3. Please ask the child to sit up straight with chin up and face looking forwards, then the back bone will become less prominent and this is normal.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist