question-icon

Is it necessary for pacemaker patient to be anti coagulant medication for life?

Posted on Thu, 19 Feb 2015
Question: When a patient has a pacemaker inserted is the patient required to be on Coumadin or another anticoagulant the rest of their lives?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah (22 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this query.

The most common reasons for pacemakers are irregularly heartbeats termed arrhythmia. Arrhythmia causes blood to clot easily which is harmful to organs like the brain, eyes, kidneys, legs, etc. For this reason, being on an anticoagulant is very much advised. Beside this, there are several other reasons for using coumadins that may nit be totally justified by a pacemaker alone.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Dr. Ivo Ditah