Is huffing dust during pregnancy safe?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
I asked a question about huffing assure dust while 25 weeks pregnant and was reassured by the answer. just out of curiosity at what point does it become harmful and what harm does it cause? my counselor advised I inquire to be informed and deterred from future use. thank you in advance for your time.
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
IT CAN HARM THE BABY

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
I am sorry , but my answer is not meant to make you panic, only make you cautious.
Huffing IS dangerous during pregnancy, during any stage of pregnancy, right from the first few weeks until the end of term.
It mostly affects the fetal brain.
The spectrum of effects can include - miscarriage, preterm labour, maldevelopment of fetal brain, behavioral changes in the baby etc.
The risk depends on the frequency and severity of exposure and on the type of chemicals.
Air dusters are not just pressurized air, but often contain toxic chemicals which , upon inhalation by the mother, pass into the bloodstream of the baby.
Please let me know the details of the chemical composition of the product you used, how frequently, and how intensely.
Also, is it a habit that you have always had, so are likely to fall into again ?
Did you pass out or were close to it during the episodes ?
Please understand that the information is only meant to make your pregnancy better, and not to get you worked up and agitated.
Am sharing a few links which I would request you to go through, before you respond -
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/0000
http://www.addictiontreatmentmagazine.com/addiction/drug-abuse/inhalant-use-during-pregnancy-cause-of-brain-damage/
https://suite.io/karen-stephenson/50482ff

Follow-up: Is huffing dust during pregnancy safe? 6 hours later
it was about seven times 6 -7 cans of the product air duster each time and I passed out every time

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
WHAT CHEMICAL IS IT

Detailed Answer:
Do you have the product lying around ?
Can you read off the composition ( chemical ) and tell me ?

Follow-up: Is huffing dust during pregnancy safe? 2 hours later
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_duster

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
STAY AWAY FROM IT.

Detailed Answer:
As you must have read, apart from innocuous sounding ' pressurized air ', there are a host of chemicals contained, which when passed into the fetal bloodstream, can lead to a vast array of effects, that I listed earlier.
There is a very strong reason for you to stay away from this, and avoid damaging your baby further.

Follow-up: Is huffing dust during pregnancy safe? 27 minutes later
I understand , and I will can you tell me what damage has most likely been done at this point?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CHANGES DESCRIBED.

Detailed Answer:
See, you are having no ominous symptoms, so am ruling out a miscarriage, or preterm labour, which is most risky.
Next, the chemicals can affect overall bodily growth of the fetus and brain damage.
If serial checkups with your doctor and growth scans are fine, to a great extent you can be assured that no harm has yet been luckily done.
Also, regarding the effects on the fetal brain, they range from subtle behavioural changes to overt brain development defects.
Gross abnormalities would be picked up on scanning, but mild ones would only be apparent after birth.
It could also have caused changes in the placental perfusion ( blood supply to the baby ).
You would do well to take adequate folic acid until term ( 5 mg per day ) and also eat healthy and refrain from any other insult to the baby henceforth.
Please take care, and wish you luck.

Follow-up: Is huffing dust during pregnancy safe? 3 minutes later
okay thank you so much. so there is s good chance I've lucked out and there isn't brain damage but probably wouldn't be lucky in the future, am I understanding correctly?

Brief Answer:
YES

Detailed Answer:
Yes, I could not have put it in better words.
Do not stretch your luck one more time, that is all.
Wish you a great pregnancy and motherhood .