Is heavy bleeding in post-menopausal period a cause for concern?
Needs to be concerned. Do TVS scan.
Thanks for writing to us.
Heavy bleeding in post-menopausal period needs to be concerned. It may be due to hormonal imbalance, associated with dysfunction of ovary and progesterone deficiency.
Here, we need to rule out possible causes of this type of bleeding. These are as follows:
1) Endometrial atrophy (thinned out) or vaginitis
2) Endometrial hyperplasia (if any)
3) Endometrial cancer - High risk in postmenopausal bleeding.
4) Others- Cervical polyp, infection, adenomyosis, certain medication etc.
Complete physical examination including pelvic/ speculum exam and Colposcopy if indicated, is needed to rule out underlying pathology.
Some investigations are required to pinpoint the diagnosis like FSH, estrogen level, thyroid profile, Trans Vaginal Ultrasound scan (TVS), Pap smear test (to detect cancerous changes) and endometrial biopsy.
TREATMENT: Initiation of hemostatic agent combined with progesterone pill if the case is endometrial atrophy or hyperplasia. Though periodic monitoring of ET is needed.
In failed case, approach would be surgical by Operative hysteroscopy to remove polyp (if anything), endometrial ablation in case of hyperplasia.
Kindly, consult with your Gynecologist regarding this for proper management of the case.
Hope I have answered your query. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.
Wish your good health and take care.
For future query, you can directly approach me through
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Irregular periods with heavy bleeding is it a menopause stage
- What causes post coital and heavy intermenstrual bleeding
- What causes heavy period bleeding
- What causes vaginal bleeding post menopause
- Heavy bleeding in menopause
- Heavy bleeding in menopausal women
- Can heavy lifting cause post menopause bleeding
- Heavy period bleeding caused by implanon
- Lisinopril causes post menopausal bleeding
- Heavy bleeding during period causes