• question-icon

Is Susten 300 advisable during 12 weeks of pregnancy?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: hi i am 12 weeks pregnant and i am diagnosed with low edging placenta 13mms away from os. my doctor advised me to take susten 300. should i take it or not. does it has side effects. is it safe?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

Susten is prescribed during pregnancy when there is evidence of progesterone deficiency and also in assisted reproduction.

This is done until the placenta takes over the production of progesterone by 14-16 weeks.

In the current scenario, the placenta is likely to recede into the upper part of the uterus as the pregnancy continues and the uterus enlarges. So, there is no need to worry about this except for periodic evaluation to check the position. Susten is not prescribed at this stage of pregnancy for this. Please discuss with your consultant.

Susten has the usual side effects of the other progesterone preparations. There can be vaginal bleeding also. So, I would ask you to contact your health care provider for further information.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN