Is delayed menstruation a sign of pregnancy?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I missed my period which was on 22nd of this month I am afraid of getting pregnant is there any solution for this as I don't want to become pregnant now so any tablet for this
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
delayed menses

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for the query to hcm.
As its been just 2 days post missed period, it is important to first rule out pregnancy with serum beta hcg teat. If the test is negative then you are not pregnant at all. If the levels are high then pregnancy is confirmed.
A urine pregnancy test shll not give definitive results untill 7 days post missed periods. Hence serum beta hcg is the best as of now.
If pregnant then medical abortion can be initiated with medicines else you can wait for atleast 2 weeks to allow natural onset of menses if test is negative.The delay can possibly be due to stress induced hormonal imbalanace in that case.
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 27 hours later
I want to ask what pills I have to take to avoid pregnancy now as my last period date was on 22 Aug and any side effects for tablets
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answered

Detailed Answer:
thanks for the follow up.
As i said that there are pills for medical abortion and also for initiating a withdrawal bleed, but for taking any step further it is really important to confirm or rule out pregnancy with a serum beta hcg test.
As such as you have missed periods already, contraceptive pills are out of question as of now, so treatment shall depend on th pregnancy result. Please follow up with your pregnancy results ( not the urine pregnancy test but the serum beta hcg ).
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 4 hours later
Sir I want to say that from Monday I am getting light pain in my stomach
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
answered

Detailed Answer:
Well there is all possibility that your menses may start after few days and the pain that you are experiencing are premenstrual abdominal cramps , a part of PMS. As it has just been 4 days post missed period and if you are not keen on getting a serum beta hcg test done then you should wait for another 4 days to allow your menses to resume and then do a urine pregnancy test. If the menses are resumed then you are pregnancy safe.
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 26 hours later
Can I eat papaya to stop pregnancy as till now no periods
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
answered

Detailed Answer:
Well you may eat papaya if you want , no hassles at all, though it is not known to help initiate the menses. You may try eating dry fruits and hot milk , thats a more natural way of regulating menses though, but they will not cause any abortion or initiate any early bleeding.
I still suggest get the pregnancy test done ( serum beta hcg ) and accordingly if negative then medicines can be safely taken for initiating your menses.
regards