Is cholesterol level of 5.6 dangerous?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi there, I'm 31 and have of cholesterol level of 5.6 is that very high and is it something to be worried about ?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not worrisome...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Your cholesterol level of 5.6 is slightly elevated, it is not that very high and not that worrisome. Can you upload the other cholesterol numbers, so, I can analyze all your lipid profile parameters and calculate your risk for heart disease?

Next time, when you get testing, try to avoid fatty and sugary foods at least 24 hours prior to testing.

I have noticed that you are consuming healthy foods during the day. That will help improve your cholesterol numbers.

Physical activity is also important. Try moderate to high-intensity exercises at least 3 times/week.

Hope it answered to your queries!
Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 18 hours later
Cholesteol - 5.4mmol/1
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

Many thanks for answering my Query regarding my raised cholestrol.

As requested please find below liped profile results taken in 2011 and again in 2013.

Can you tell me if these are good results or bad?

Triglycerides - 0.64 mmol/1
HDL-Cholestrol -2.2mmol/1
LDL Cholestrol - 2.9mmol/1
BMI - 23
Abdominal Girth 29''

27th July 2011

Cholestrol - 5.6
Triglyceride - 0.64
Dhdl - Cholestrol - 1.77
LDLc - Cholestrol - 3.52

13th March 2013

Look forward to hearing your response.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Great results...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back XXXXXXX

Thank you for providing your lipid profile testing results.

Your cholesterol numbers seem to be normal, with nothing to worry about.

I noticed also that your BMI is 23, which indicates a normal weight.

Definitely, your results (both 2011 and 2013) are good, nothing worrisome.

Enjoy life!
Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju