Is chemo the only option to treatment adenocarcinoma of colon?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Cancer
Question: My mother is suffering with Adenocarcinoma of colon. Her hemicolectomey had been done to months back to remove it.But still cancer is live in her body affecting 4-5 lymph nodes. For that my oncologist is doing one cycle of chemotherapy plus targeted therapy. Already first dose of chemo has been completed. and now she has been admitted to hospital for 2 dose. But as she is already week because of very low food intake I am very much worried whether her body will tolerate next chemo dose or not. Her age is 73. So I am more worried. Is there any alternative to chemo? Also what r the ways to increase food intake capacity?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
if disease has spread then chemo only option

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I understand your concerns.

First of all, we need to be sure about the disease status. Specifically that disease is still there and no further surgery is feasible. In this case, the disease is considered incurable. If you can upload copies of reports of PET/CT scans then I may be able to guide you better.

Now let's say that the disease is incurable, then chemo +/- targeted therapy is the only option. Probably she is not doing too much well on chemo because of age and other problems. In that event we can even consider only oral chemo plus targeted injections. But given the situation probably no other option is available.

To increase food intake you can consider small meals at a time, use high calorie supplements and may be some appetite stimulants like megestrol.

Hope this helps. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj