Is cervical cerclage advisable during 14 weeks of pregnancy?
I am 14 weeks 5 days pregnant now
I had a missed abortion before and had D&C 2 years ago
Last year lost a baby at 18 weeàks due to cervix shortening. Cervix length reached to 2.4cm and dilated to 5mm. 2 days after had an abortion as water broke and baby was out. There was no D&C.
This pregnancy there is no spotting Last week i had Ultra Sound and doctor said cervix was 3.4cm and closed but my gyneac has advised cerclage. I get pain in my lower abdomen even if i walk a few steps or stand a few minutes. Mostly on bed rest from the start of this pregnancy
One doctor has advised against it says it's fine now no need. Changed the hospital to different doctor and he immediately says we will do the cerclage
They scared us that it has risks and may induce abortion also. Cannot decide to go for it or wait and watch
Cervical cerclage advisable
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
If there is history of cervical shortening in last pregnancy at 16-18 weeks, then it is best to get the cervical cerclage at 14-16 weeks to prevent the preterm labour and second trimester abortion.
It is always advisable to get cervical cerclage in such a situation, without waiting for the cervical length to shorten.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist
It has risks and will not guarantee for the solution
He says procedure itself can cause abortions
Pl guide us about the procedure the precautions to be taken and care afterwards
Also will there be any diff if anathisia taken general and spinal
Benefits of cerclage outweigh risks
Cerclage procedure is rarely associated with preterm labour and abortions.
However, since the benefit of doing cerclage in preservation of pregnancy is more than its rare risk, cerclage is advisable.
Moreover, no procedure in the medical field is risk free and sure shot for solving the problem, the same holds true for cerclage.
You should avoid heavy work , intercourse and lifting weights after the procedure.
Spinal anesthesia is given for cerclage.
Dr Deepti Verma
I had my cerclage done yesterday
I had little spotting and Now it's almost nil
Having abdominal pain when I move while changing my position while sleeping or stand to go to washroom
Pl find my reports of before and after the cerclage attached
Pl advice and guide
Slight pain will be there for a week to 10 days after cerclage.
There is nothing to worry in that regard.
I have reviewed the report after cerclage.
It is completely normal.
You should avoid heavy work, intercourse and straining for further pregnancy.
Dr Deepti Verma
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Cervical stitch during pregnancy
- Had cervical cerclage placed prescribed azithromycing normal
- Abdominal cerclage vs cervical cerclage
- Spotting after cervical cerclage
- Cervical discharge during 8th week pregnancy
- Cervical mucus during 4th week of pregnancy
- Heavier bleeding at night after cervical cerclage
- Cervical cerclage low blood pressure
- Mucous dishcharge after cervical cerclage
- Sign of infection after cervical cerclage
- What are side effects of Unwanted 72 taken to stop pregnancy?
- What are the chances of pregnancy through unprotected sex without...
- What causes vaginal bleeding after having I pill?
- What causes delay in menstruation after taking I-pill?
- What causes dizziness after having Percocet?
- What causes delay in period despite having I pill after unprotected sex?
- What causes heavier menstruation while taking Progesterone during...
- What causes constipation, whitish bumps on nipples and pink spotting?
- What causes bleeding from vagina while urinating?
- What are the different methods of safe abortion?