Is bleeding during a bowel movement a cause for concern?
It can be.
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX
Bleeding during a bowel movement may be a minor problem such as irritation from a hemorrhoid, or it can be a serious problem, such as bleeding from a cancerous polyp in the colon.
If the blood is mixed in with the stool, or if there is quite a bit of blood, the bleeding may be from higher in the gastrointestinal tract than bleeding from the rectum.
If there is blood when you wipe and not in the water, this can be from a hemorrhoid or a rectal tear from a hard bowel movement, and should resolve with increasing the softness of future bowel movements.
I recommend that if it isn't obvious where the blood is coming from, to go see your doctor to help sort this out. The doctor can look at the anus/rectum to see if there are irritated hemorrhoids or a rectal tear. If neither are seen, and if you are otherwise generally well, you may want to have a colonoscopy or similar study to see the health of the gastrointestinal tract (check it for growths).
I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.
Before having a colonoscopy, I suggest you meet with the gastroenterologist who will be doing the colonoscopy to discuss whether it is appropriate for you, and what type of anesthesia would be best. The bleeding still could have been from a simple anal tear or hemorrhoid.
Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Occasional bleeding during bowel movement
- Can erosion cause bleeding during bowel movements
- Nose bleed during bowel movement
- Bleeding during bowel movement pregnancy
- Anel bleeding during bowel movements
- Painless bleeding during bowel movement
- Bleeding during bowel movement is this serious
- Vaginal bleeding during bowel movements
- Is it normal to bleed during bowel movement
- What causes bleeding during the bowel movement
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis