Is back pain normal during pregnancy?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: hi doctor
my wife is 21 weeks pregnant. And she usually have back pain. Is this normal during pregnancy??
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be seen

Detailed Answer:
Yes. Some amount of backache can be seen in pregnancy. Due to causes like:
-Increased lumbar lardosis (spinal curvature), joint laxity etc.
-Stretching of uterine supportive ligaments due to enlargement of uterus
-Increased calcium need etc.
By following below measures pain can be deceased to some extent.
-Using calcium supplements
-Taking sufficient rest, eight hours in night and two hours in day time.
-Using local analgesic cream, if pain still persists analgesic tablet with your doctor's advice.
-Methylcobalamine supplements also help in decreasing pain.
-Suggestions by physiotherapist.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the response, please give your review at the end of the discussion.