Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Is back pain normal during pregnancy?

May 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4909 Questions
hi doctor
my wife is 21 weeks pregnant. And she usually have back pain. Is this normal during pregnancy??
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be seen

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query.
Yes. Some amount of backache can be seen in pregnancy. Due to causes like:
-Increased lumbar lardosis (spinal curvature), joint laxity etc.
-Stretching of uterine supportive ligaments due to enlargement of uterus
-Increased calcium need etc.
By following below measures pain can be deceased to some extent.
-Using calcium supplements
-Taking sufficient rest, eight hours in night and two hours in day time.
-Using local analgesic cream, if pain still persists analgesic tablet with your doctor's advice.
-Methylcobalamine supplements also help in decreasing pain.
-Suggestions by physiotherapist.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the response, please give your review at the end of the discussion.
Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor